Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Geek or Nerd

Watching CNBC tonight and saw a preview of a program that will be on tomorrow night. The program is called "Bill Gates: How a Geek Changed the World" I felt like it was slight to Emperor Bill. I have always called myself professional nerd mainly due to getting paid for working in a technical field. To me I always saw a nerd as top tier in a particular field not necessarily needing to be in a technical field and a geek as the greasy haired pimple ridden kid who may one day grow up to be a nerd. So I was curious and looked up the definitions in and this is what was in the dictionary.

nerd
Noun: 1. A foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious: "one of those nerds who never asked a girl to dance". 2. An intelligent, single-minded expert in a particular technical discipline or profession.

geek
Noun: 1. An unfashionable or socially inept person. 2. A person with an eccentric devotion to a particular interest: "a computer geek".

So it poses the question, "am I a nerd or a geek?" Me, I am sticking with nerd. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment